Thursday, March 30, 2006

spring has sprung

it doesnt feel much like spring - the rain is falling, the ground is muddy, the sky is grey... but hang on a minute that sounds exactly like spring in the UK! So here it is. i must say i am enjoying the extra hour of sunlight and seeing the daffys poke through always makes me smile. Not because im an avid botanist (us zoologists pity the poor botanists) but because it reminds me of a fancy dress competition when i was 6or 7. my nurses outfit had been used the year before and so my mother saw fit to dress me up as a daffodil. i had a big yellow funnel of crepe paper round my face and my body was the stem. i guess it looked kindof cool - especally with emma dressed as a poppy beside me (oh i wish i had a photo of that!). It must have looked pretty realistic too because i remember standing quietly crying (yes i used to be shy) because several wasps had flown into the yellow funnel and were swarming round my face... very scary!! the teacher eventually saw my distress and had to rip my costume apart to free the wasps. So daffodils always make me smile... but i have only just talked myself into wearing yellow again recently :-) the pic is of the first daffy in our garden to survive our dog and the great edinburgh weather - ain't she beautiful!

No comments: