Thursday, April 06, 2006

masacre

Have you seen the advert on telly for those chocolate lindt bunnies? The ones you walk past in airports and fancy shops and so desperately want to take one of them home to care for (...and then eat ears first). But you tell yourself you could buy 20 dairymilks for the same price and walk on past feeling their eyes staring at you as you leave them to their unknown fate.
I have always wanted one. when people ask the question "what would you do if you won a million quid" my mind wanders and the wee golden bunnies jump past as I drive my jeep across the african savanah and of course give the money away to a good cause (whilst eating said chocolate bunnies).
So imagine my sheer joy to be handed a bag at church on sunday containing none other than mr hoppy, a beautiful golden rabbit (a big thankyou to Paul and Elizabeth!). As his big eyes stared up at me and his wee red bell rang out, I knew it was love. I brought him back to the flat and he set up home on our top shelf in the living room. Just close enough to remind me of the impending joy and far enough away that i wouldnt be tempted by his smell to kill him prematurely. Many a night I have looked at his beautiful shiny gold coat wondering if tonight is the night... only to tell myself sharply "not yet mrs wilson not yet". The anticipation was mounting. Until... i returned home from the gp to find... (those of a weak disposition should look away now)
the remains of mr hoppy
The dog was looking very sheepish (can a dog look sheepish??) and tried to guzzle down as much of Mr Hoppy as possible before I could get at her. Needless to say there weren't many words spoken between us that morning. After a tearful phonecall to Jamie I cleared Mr Hoppy's remains, as memories of watership down came flooding past... old bright eyes is gone.
Jamie says that Cara must have been hungry but I think it was motivated by jealousy - she could see how much I loved Mr Hoppy. A little bit of me is gone forever.

a sheepish dog

2 comments:

Kaz said...

arghhh wot a wee toerag, that dog would b out in the rain for the nite if she was mine...she knew wot she was doin'...baaad dog baaad dog!!

ali wilson said...

sorry ali... (NOT!)