Monday, July 31, 2006

sunny days in Northern Ireland

I just wanted to finish posting about the trip to NI.
When we first arrived on the sunday we went to glenabbey (my mums church) and then a quick detour to see my nana who was in her usual fine form. Then we headed up to belfast for a quick tour of all the tourist sites (??? tourist sites i hear you ask... stormont, lots of murals, and maggie may's for lunch... not much else to see!). From belfast we went to my bro's house and he drove us to Coleraine, along with his weeks supply of confectionary!
On the Monday night we went to a ceilidh - well it was called a ceilidh but the callers had made up the dances. Very hard to do a strip the willow the wrong way! i did however enjoy spinning my 15 year old partner till he fell over (revenge is mine - its the first time i've been the taller of the pair!). It was a good laugh though and had all the important bits - loud music, banter, sweat, random screams and confused foreigners!

Kirsty with a Poor Bear Ice-cream (or Pooh bear as it is still known- stupid disney and their stupid lawsuits!)

On the Tuesday we went to Portstewart for a Mauds Ice-Cream... mmm... the taste of home! It was really hot and we went a walk round to the strand (big beach). Largely to get away from the karaoke people in the bandstand!

the strand from the convent (you can prob just make out the line of cars on the sand)

Tuesday night brought a double treat with Louise coming over to visit. It was very cool to see her and catch up on her news. It was also very useful to have her around as she can save 6 seats at a time in the big tent (that girl is tall! - wish i had taken a photo!). i have to rely on my body odour to keep the hoards away. Julia also came along after I bumped into her at my mum's church on sunday. It was so exciting to see her again and especially to be with her and worship God together - what an encouragement she is!

Being in Northern ireland certainly has its benefits as you bump into old friends. I have to say though that there were a few gut wrenching moments as i bumped into my old maths teacher Miss Carson (now married with 3 kids) at the causeway and my old french teacher (Mrs McIllhatton) in Coleraine. For some reason, that I still havent worked out, I felt sick when I saw them. I wonder if its guilt from being so cheeky in their classes or just that i dont want to think about school days? Miss Carson told me that I had grown up - I would hope so too - its been 10years since I was in her class!!

No comments: